This week was a very successful one! We got SO much done in just 4 days. I was really worried about this week because it was a short week and we had some really hard concepts to learn. We learned about soft c and soft g, silent e, long a, and nk, ng, nd. That's a lot to learn in 4 days! But they all did AMAZING. I was so impressed. I had a fun time teaching it and I think they had a fun time learning.
We started this week learning about Martin Luther King Jr. and why he was so important. This was the first time we had talked about how people were segregated back then. I was a little nervous to talk about it, but they were all really intrigued by it. It really is amazing how different things were. We also read a book about Ruby Bridges. She was one of the first black girls to go to a white school and she was SO brave. I loved reading these stories to the kids and seeing what they learned.
To remember who MLK was, we made this book.
Monday was a good day and I hope they learned a lot about MLK!
We then started learning about silent e. We learned about CVCe words and they really caught on to that concept, which I was pleased about. That means next week is going to be easy because we will be learning about long i. I taught them that when e is at the end of the word, it pinches the vowel before it (we focused on e pinching a) to say it's name. Fist we made a snake. They had to say the words as they colored the snake, then they cut it out and we hung them in the back of our room. I think they make our classroom look like a jungle and I love it! Especially since we are going to be learning about the rainforest soon, which is close to a jungle sort of.
This is the "e" and the story about e that we made.
I love how they all turned out SO different.
When we learned about soft g, we made a giraffe.
They had to write soft g words on the neck and glue it all together.
Last but not least, we read The Mitten and did an activity with it! The activity was to help them remember the story so that they could retell the story at home. They had to cut out mittens and glue them together. Then they cut out the animals and write the numbers on the back to remember the order that they went into the mitten. Last, they get to tell the story!
We did a lot of learning and it was a fantastic week.
I have such a sweet class and I appreciate all that you parents do at home.
I love my class and I love being a teacher!
Thanks for all that you do parents!
No comments:
Post a Comment