Friday, November 18, 2011

What a CRAZY week!  Tons of stuff going on, and the week we get back from break is going to be crazy too with our Christmas program!  Whew!  I will warn you...this post will have a lot of pictures.
This week we learned about verb endings.  To help them understand the difference between -ing and -ed, I got these little pictures (from another teachers blog...THANK YOU!) and the kids LOVED them!
Notice the "ing" is a few first graders because it is happening now.
 And the "ed" is an old couple because it happened in the past.  I think this was cute.
 They even got to make their own characters!  Many of them wanted to make the exact same one I had, which was fine.  They all look wonderful  :)  We have a VERY artistic class!



We also played a game during centers to help us understand the verb endings.  I also got this from the other teachers blog, and it helped so much.  One of the cubes is a verb, the other is an ending.  They had to put them together to make the word.  Later that day, we also did a word hunt.  I put verbs with the endings around the room and they had to find all of them and write down whether the ending was an -s, -ing, or -ed.
 

To help them understand that there has to be a root (or base) word, I used this picture to help explain it.  The word starts as the root of a flower, then grows into a bigger word with endings.  I know it's lame, but it works
So a wonderful group called The Standards came to sing to us on Thursday morning.  They are REALLY cool and I loved their message!  They do "music with a message".  Their message was to love your body, keep it healthy and take care of it.  I didn't take any pictures, but I stole these pictures from their Facebook page.  A 5th grade teacher took these pictures for them, so this is all I got.  :)  There aren't any of kids in my class looking at the camera, but there are some of first graders with kids in our class in the picture, so I figure that's good enough.  They were so excited to meet them and get their autograph.  It was a fun program and I am really glad that they got to come to our school.  It was such a neat experience!
 I look silly...but I was having fun with the kids  :)  So were the other teachers, if you can't tell.



 Remember how I said they were so excited to meet them?  This is where they started freaking out.  That is me about to shake his hand, and the girls were SO excited that he gave them a high five.  It was pretty cute.

Now...IT'S TURKEY TIME!
 We have been SO busy the last few weeks, we haven't had much time to do crafts for Thanksgiving  :(  I am so bummed about that, just so everyone knows.  I had so many fun things planned to do with the kids, and we just didn't have any time!  I made time today to do at least one project.  So we made indians/turkeys.  I think they turned out pretty darn cute!  On one side it's a turkey, on the other side it's an indian.  Some of them didn't finish, but we did what we could with the little amount of time that we had.

It's been a crazy and busy week, but we made it and the kids have been such good sports about everything!  I couldn't have asked for a better class.  I hope everyone enjoys their Thanksgiving break!  
If you are traveling, travel safe!  
I am looking forward to hearing all of the Thanksgiving stories when we get back.
Thank you for everything you do parents!

No comments:

Post a Comment