It was a busy busy week this week! And next week is going to be ANOTHER busy week! I have a feeling isn't going to slow down from here. This week we learned about long e and vowel pairs. We learned earlier this year that when two vowels go walkin', the first one does the talkin'. So that part was pretty easy.
To help understand it better, we did a few different activities.
One of them was the tree wheel. The first sound would change when they turned the wheel, but the end would stay the same.
We also made a cherry tree! I loved the creativity for this special tree, so I decided to take a picture of it. They had 8 different cherrys, and had to decide which ones had a long e. The long e would go on the tree.
The best part about this week...we celebrated the 100th day of school!
I can't believe it is already here!
I have to say...I don't remember celebrating the 100th day of school at all when I was in school, so I wanted to do some fun things to make it special. So I hope that 20 years later, they might be able to remember their 100th day of school in 1st grade.
To start off our activities, we read this wonderful book:
It was such a good book! It was my first time reading it because I just got it and I am so glad that I got it!
Such a cute story with lots of fun ideas for the 100th day of school that I might have to try next year. :)
During centers, we did a fun search to help us add to 100. They had to find the different objects in the number 100, color them different colors, count them, then add them together.
We also made this fun 100th day packet. It was our writing center for the day, but I thought it was just a fun activity for the most part.
This was the favorite part of the afternoon! We made some trail mix! I brought 10 different food items, and they had to go around and pick 10 pieces from each item. (10 pretzels, 10 chocolate chips, 10 animal crackers, etc.) In math we have been practicing tally marks and grouping items by 10s. As they went around and put their items in the bags, they had to tally mark in groups of 10 to add to 100! It was TONS of fun, and they were SO good during it! I was really nervous that it was going to be a bit chaotic, but they were SO good! They all worked really hard to make sure they got the right amount. I may have had the most fun. :)
Tuesday is Valentines Day!
To help us get ready for the day, we made heart people!
They turned out SO cute, and so different from one another!
Side note...I hate that there are wires and a TV blocking our art bulletin board...it drives me crazy.
Ready or not, Valentines Day is almost here! :)
Another thing to celebrate...1 year ago this week I started teaching in St Anthony as a first grade teacher.
I think first grade is where I am meant to be. :)
It is crazy to think that I am no longer (officially) a first year teacher!
I couldn't be happier where I am and I love my job!
Thank you parents for all you do!
No comments:
Post a Comment