Friday, December 9, 2011

Well, I feel horrible.  I didn't take a single picture this whole week!  Not one.  Can you believe it?  Yeah...neither can I.  I am so disappointed...but it's okay.  I'll make up for it next week.  It has been a stressful week for me, but that doesn't really matter and is not an excuse!  Next week, there will be pictures.  I promise!  But I'm still going to fill you in on some of the things we did this week!  I am sure your kids tell you everything we do every day, and if they don't, ask them.  If they say they don't know, they really do know.  I promise.  Every day at the end of the day (the last 10 minutes of the day) we talk about EVERYTHING we learned that day.  So trust me, they all know :) 

We are getting into the harder concepts, and I love seeing their faces when they finally understand something.  We have been learning things that they didn't learn in Kindergarten (that was basically the first few weeks of school) and I am enjoying it much more, as are the kids I'm sure.  I also am a strong believer in incorporating music into learning.  They seem to remember the concepts better if they are put to a song.  For example, last week we learned a song about contractions (it is to it's) and when they were showing me what they know about contractions (taking the test) I could hear some of them whispering the song to themselves to remember how it goes.  Each week we are basically learning a new song or chant to help us learn something new.

We haven't been doing rotations this month (music, P.E., science, social studies) so I have been able to teach them about Christmas in other countries, and we will also have time for other Christmas crafts, that we normally wouldn't have time for.  This week we spent our afternoons learning about Christmas in Sweden, Germany, Italy, Mexico, and Holland.  We learned how to say "Merry Christmas" in each of the different languages.  Germany is basically impossible to say and remember.  At least for me.  My husband went to Germany for a couple of years and when he speaks German, it seems so easy.  If you are trying to read it, it won't sound the way it is supposed to.  But I was surprised when many of the students remembered how to say it the next day, and I couldn't remember it at all.  What great memories they have!  It was really fun to learn about a few of the different countries around the world.  I learned a lot, so I hope the kids did as well!

I know Thanksgiving has come and gone, but I just want to thank every single one of you for all that you do for your kids.  I am truly grateful for everything that you do at home with them to help them at school.  I have a room full of wonderful parents this year and I couldn't be happier.  I am also very grateful for all 19 of my students.  They are all very sweet and polite, not to mention funny.  They always make me smile every single day.  I always look forward to seeing them every day, and they remind me why I wanted to be a teacher.  I am thankful for each and every one of them, and for all of you parents.  Thank you for all that you do!

I apologize for not having pictures this week.  Next week we will.  I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment