Friday, September 23, 2011

It has been a FUN but CRAZY week!  I have to tell a story that happened today.  So we were in line at the lunch room ready to get our lunches and SURPRISE...the fire alarm goes off!  I thought..."REALLY?  During lunch?"  The other teachers thought that too.  So we looked at each other, sighed, and tried to get our classes together to hurry outside.  Oh my goodness was it a mad house in the cafeteria or what!  Luckily I had a parent that was there for lunch, so that was actually a HUGE help!!!  But I was so surprised at how amazingly well my class handled it.  They were so quiet when we were in the field waiting to go back inside, and they were patient and weren't complaining.  A little scared because it was such a surprise, but still the quietest class.  I was so impressed!  Then one of my students said to me, "Mrs.Jackman, I think that was a practice just in case there is a fire during lunch.  Now I know to leave my food on the table, go to the field and find you, and then I can come back and eat when it is safe to go inside.  That's right, huh Mrs.Jackman?"  Way to think positive!  That is exactly what was going on.  It wasn't a Kindergartener pulling the alarm on accident.  Just practice.  :)  Anyway, that made the day a little crazy, but it was still a great day!
So on to other things.  Parents, if you see these in your child's backpack, just know that I would love to get the folders back.  :)  When a student is absent, I just put this folder on their desk and put papers in the folder as the day goes along.  The class knows that if this is on their desk when they get to school one morning, they need to put it in their backpacks and finish the work that is in the folder.  This is so they don't miss anything that we learned while they were gone.  I don't need EVERYTHING back right away.  Just in a timely manner.  Instructions are on the front of the folder as well.  The most important things to remember and get back to me are math and reading minutes.
 

This week in reading and language arts, we have been reading and blending short /a/ words.
This was an art project that had to do with colors and short /a/.  They had to fill in the blanks on the paper under the cat.  All of the blanks were supposed to be an /a/, and they figured that out pretty quickly.
The note on the cat says, "I am a cat.  I have on a hat.  The hat is _____________."
They got to choose whatever color they wanted to for the blank.  We even had a rainbow hat!  I loved it!  Each cat was so unique.  I love to see what is going on in the kids minds through their art.
During centers, we made Pam the Lamb to help us with our /a/ sound.
They finally got to use their liquid Elmers Glue for this project.  
The excitement on their face when they found out what kind of glue they were using was priceless.
It is so cute to see what 6 year olds get excited about.  
I wish I would get excited about things like that!
 
Finally, JOHNNY APPLESEED DAY!!!!  Today was Johnny Appleseed Day, and it was a BLAST!  I had such a fun time.  We made Apple Pancakes.  Everyone got a chance to put something in the bowl for the ingredients.  I was really nervous that everyone wasn't going to get a chance...but it worked out just fine!  And everyone got to stir it 5 times each.

We learned how to crack eggs today through trial and error.  We were all giggling through this process and I had a hard time holding it in...so we all laughed about how silly it was.
 
We even did Johnny Appleseed centers today!  For the apple book I was supposed to bring an apple seed...but I forgot.  Oops.  But they still turned out cute and we learned about the life cycle of an apple!  I think everyone really enjoyed making a Johnny Appleseed puppet.
 
These are the books that we read today.  I am now very grateful that I purchased the Johnny Appleseed book.  It was such a good book to introduce Johnny to the class.
 
It was a really fun day and I just smile thinking about how much fun everyone had learning!
I love being a teacher!
I hope everyone had fun at the school carnival tonight!
Thanks for all you do, parents!

No comments:

Post a Comment