Saturday, May 12, 2012

The last two weeks we have been learning bossy r's, and it really bothers me that we wait until the very end of school to teach it.  I might introduce it at the very beginning of the year next year...r-controlled vowels are in SO many words, and I feel like if we taught it at the beginning of the school year, they would be even better readers than they already are.  Oh well..live and learn!  :)

I meant to post this picture of our bulletin board last week, but I completely forgot!  Here is a picture of the beautiful flowers the students made:

We also made our May calendars this week!  Here are a couple of examples:


We are down to 10 days left!  We can now count them down on two hands...this is nuts.  I am so sad to see this year ending with these kids.  I hope they come and visit me lots next year!

And our countdown continues:

15 days left of school: Learn how to make cupcakes!


We learned how to read a recipe and everyone took a turn putting something in the bowl and mixing it 2 times.  Then we "put the cupcakes in the oven" (really, they were made the night before...) and they were done after recess!

14 days left of school: Jungle Day!
We did 4 different centers for Jungle Day, and we read some Jungle books too!
For this center, the students had to put letter tiles on the alligator and decide if the word is a real word or a silly word.

 For this center, the student chose any one of the cards, wrote the number sentence for it and made up a story problem.  It was such a wonderful review for what we have been working on all year.
 At this center, they had to match the animal cards and then put them in order from smallest to greatest.  He did fix these cards, just FYI.  :)
 Here, they had to put the alphabet in order then fix it on a piece of paper.  It was pretty easy for these kids, but it was a fun little "race".

13 days left of school: Pajama Day!
 The other teacher in the picture is our amazing student teacher, Mrs.Wells!  We love having her in our class!
Apparently footie pajamas aren't very attractive on an adult, but I thought I would post the pictures anyway  :)  The kids got a kick out of my PJs...and I laughed a little too, and felt pretty silly...but that's okay!

12 days left of school:Nature Hunt...but unfortunately, the weather did not agree with our special thing for that day, so instead we made fireflies and looked at them in the dark gym with all of the lights off! 



On Tuesday we read, Fireflies for Nathan, so I thought this little project would go perfect with that story.  After they drew their fireflies, I put a little dot of glow-in-the-dark glue on the "bug" and we went in the gym and looked at them fly.  It was pretty cool, if I do say so myself.

11 days left of school: Painting Day AND Kite Day!



 Before we went outside and flew our kites, we made our own kites!  I don't think they will actually fly, but it was fun to see what they came up with.  They are SO creative!

 We also read a book about an alligator living under a bed, and we made these fun little alligators:


The one on the left is mine...  :)  They turned out pretty cute, and it was a fun little project!

It was a really fun week, and I have a lot of other fun things planned for the last 10 days of school.  This week was also Teacher Appreciation Week, and I just wanted to say a big Thank You to those who brought a special something.  I really couldn't do anything without your help and am a very lucky teacher.  Thanks to such wonderful students and parents, I wake up every morning excited to go to work!  I love my job.  Thank you parents for everything you do!