Friday, April 27, 2012

This week we learned about the /aw/ sound and /oi/ sound.
I used this fun picture and story to learn about the /aw/ sound.
" AU/AW have a HUGE crush on each other,
and whenever they have to stand 'side-by-side' in a word,
they get so embarrassed,
they always look down and say-
"awwwwwwwwww..."
To learn about the different ways to spell the /oi/ sound, I used these little helpers to remember them throughout the week.  I also told them that the /y/ reminded me of a monkey tail, and if the /oi/ sound is at the end of the word it is spelled oy, because a monkeys tail "hangs" out of a tree.  I think it worked.  :)
We also made these strawberries to help us with the aw sound.
Well, we are down to 20 days and the countdown is on...literally.  We have a countdown in our classroom - but the kids don't know it yet.   I am doing something special for the last 20 days of school...but it is a secret...until Monday anyway.  I am really excited about it - it is something I have never done before, but I am hoping that it will turn out the way I imagine it in my mind.  As excited as we all are that summer time is coming up soon, as each day gets closer, I get a little sadder.  Yes, we all need a break, but I am sad that I am going to have to say goodbye to these kiddos.  For those who don't know, I live 30 minutes away in Rexburg and today on the ride home, I teared up a little bit thinking about saying goodbye in 20 days.  Thank you parents for making this such an amazing year, and I am looking forward to the last 20 days with your amazing children.